For all you PC gamers or PC users in general be ready for tomorrow’s super virus. It is called Conficker and no one really knows what it will do. Speculation is that it will create a bot that can rent out your info to those who want to send SPAM, steal IDs, or direct you to online scams and phishing sites. If you say to yourself, “Oh I just won’t go on any unsafe pages,” you are in danger!!!! Conficker infects networks so you don’t even need to be on the net just connected to a network where someone else is connected to the web. Obviously Conficker makes any MMORPG a hazard to your PC’s health. I recommend that you turn Wednesday into the new sabbath for your PC and give you computer the day off, but if you feel the need to level up your level 31 paladin then protect yourself. The Norton anti-virus webpage suggested these steps.
- Run a good security suite
- Keep your computer updated with the latest patches. If you don’t know how to do this, have someone help you set your system to update itself.
- Don’t use “free” security scans that pop up on many web sites. All too often these are fake, using scare tactics to try to get you to purchase their “full” service. In many cases these are actually infecting you while they run. There is reason to believe that the creators of the Conficker worm are associated with some of these fake security products.
- Turn off the “autorun” feature that will automatically run programs found on memory sticks and other USB devices.
- Be smart with your passwords. This includes:
- Change your passwords periodically
- Use complex passwords – no simple names or words, use special characters and numbers
- Using a separate, longer password for each site that has sensitive personal information or access to your bank accounts or credit cards.
For more details on how to protect yourself check out these websites